Well, in pursuit of the perfect spaetzle, I’ve tried yet another variation and I think I’m in love.
So, there I was, standing in front of an open fridge looking for spaetzle inspiration when I saw the bacon. A little lightbulb went off in my head. Eureka! Bacon spaetzle, and let me tell you it tastes just like a lower fat version of pasta carbonara!
Spaetzle with Bacon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1-3/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped crisped bacon
- 1 tbsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add about 1 tbsp of salt to the pot.
- Measure the flour into a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Whisk well until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour and mix thoroughly, then add the finely chopped bacon.
- When the water has boiled, press the spaetzle dough through a spaetzle press or use a spatula and colander by pressing the dough through the holes of the colander, into the boiling water.
- When the noodles have risen to the top, remove them and set aside.
- Garnish with Parmesan and parsley.