So, there I was, standing in front of an open fridge looking for spaetzle inspiration when I saw the bacon. A little lightbulb went off in my head. Eureka! Bacon spaetzle, and let me tell you it tastes just like a lower fat version of pasta carbonara!
Spaetzle with Bacon
2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup milk
3 tbsp sour cream
1/3 cup very finely chopped crisped bacon
1 tbsp salt and pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add about 1 tbsp of salt to the pot.
2. Measure the flour into a bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Whisk well until combined.
3. Add the wet mixture to the flour and mix thoroughly, then add the finely chopped bacon.
4. When the water has boiled, press the spaetzle dough through a spaetzle press or use a spatula and colander by pressing the dough through the holes of the colander, into the boiling water.
5. When the noodles have risen to the top, remove them and set aside.
6. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley.