You may be familiar with the name “Toad in a Hole.” This quintessential English breakfast dish is basically a hunk of sausage buried in a rich egg custard and then baked. Did I mention the use of lots of butter or oil? Well, this healthified version uses crumbled turkey sausage instead of pork, light cheese instead of full fat and an egg reduced custard that does not lack for flavor. Try it this weekend for a nice change for breakfast!
Individual Breakfast Casseroles
- 3/4 lb turkey breakfast sausage removed from the skins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light cheese blend cheddar, Italian, Mexican, whatever
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- Pan fry the sausage until no longer pink then set aside on paper towels to absorb any residual fat.
- While sausage is frying, combine the milk, eggs, flour and salt in a bowl and whisk until thick and smooth.
- Divide the sausage between four individual sized souffle dishes or ramekins (I used french onion soup bowls!), placing the sausage in a layer on the bottom.
- Divide the cheese between the dishes, and then the green onion.
- Top with the egg custard mixture and bake at 400f for about 20-30 minutes or until puffy and light brown on top.
- Serve right away with a fresh fruit salad!