This was a new creation – I’m forever browsing recipes and take ideas of this and that and merge them together and sometimes, like with these peppers, it results in amazing yumminess! I used the recipe for my Spanish Rice to help flavor the filling and the result was tender, delicious and my kids gobbled up every last bite.
- bell peppers - 4, medium size, washed and seeds removed
- ground beef - 2 pounds, lean
- cooking oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 1/2 cup, diced (about 1 small onion)
- garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Baked Spanish Rice - 1 cup, cooled
- Jack cheese - 1/2 cup
- taco seasoning - 2 tbsp, low sodium variety, or reduce the salt in the recipe
- salt and pepper - to taste
1. Prepare the peppers by removing their seeds, and unless they stand flat, slice a thin layer off the bottom to help them stand.
2. Prepare the filling by sauteeing the garlic and onion in the oil in a pan. Cook for about 7 minutes until it is soft and but not too brown.
3. Combine the beef, onion and garlic, cheese, rice mixture, taco seasoning and a bit of salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Heat a small bit in the microwave to test for salt and pepper, and adjust if needed.
4. Stuff each pepper with the meat, but don't shove it in too tight or they'll take forever to cook.
5. Place the peppers in a casserole dish and add about 1/2-inch of water to the bottom to help the peppers cook. Cover and bake at 375-F for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of your peppers. Internal temperature should be 165-F before serving.
Top with a bit of cheese, sour cream, green onions or even a dollop of salsa.
Enjoy with the remaining rice and a side salad.